Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Effective Communication?

How can communication not be important? When you have no intention to send any message?

Yet, we are sending out messages almost every minute, every second. Intentionally or unknowingly. Verbally or non-verbally. Through virtual means or in real life.

Communication is probably one of the most basic functions of survival. However, it is useless, and can get quite frustrating too, if it is not effective at all. Effective communication requires you to be skilled at speaking, listening and observing simultaneously.

Sounds complicated? That's why it's a skill, isn't it?

The first lesson put communication in a new light for me, since I have always had trouble communicating with others. It's mostly due to my pace, tone, facial expressions and body language. My inability to process information fast indirectly affects my selection of an apt mode or channel of communication. People have commented that causing communication breakdown is my forte. Not that I'd be ready to deny that, as you'd have witnessed from my self-introduction, but I saw that glimpse of hope in this module.

Especially in university, where the people you meet and the friends you make come from all over the world, mastering the art of effective communication is certainly a bonus. It will come in handy not only in the project discussions in school but also our daily conversations in life.

On a smaller scale, though I may not know all of my course and module mates, I do hope to be able to leave them with a decent impression when I finally get acquainted with them! Besides, so many of them aren't local. Stemming from our various origins, even if we may share similar situations, but most will be set in different contexts and cultures. Personally, I find it a joy talking with them and learning about their lifestyles back in their hometowns. However, sometimes the different accents may cause confusion and it can get quite awkward when you've to ask the person to repeat the same thing four times or more. I may not have fully practised active listening but I was definitely trying to focus on what he or she was sharing with me. Sometimes I'd have to resort to observing simple gestures or body language to guess the content.

Ultimately, in this era where everyone strives to achieve smooth efficiency, effective communication will probably save us a lot of time. Getting your point across is as crucial as getting people's point, and this applies even beyond the boundaries of NUS. By avoiding confusion and minimising potential communication barriers, we might actually be able to look forward to having more meaningful exchanges and conversations!

10 comments:

  1. I really like this post, Hui Yun. You start with a general discussion (and rhetorical questions) and then boil down the whole communication process to your specific style and needs, paying particular attention to what's been happening in our class.

    Here are a couple sentences to consider:

    1) Stemming from our various origins, even if we may share similar situations, but most will be set in different contexts and cultures. >>> ???

    2) in this era where >>> in this era when

    3) Especially in university, where the people you meet and the friends you make come... >>> Especially in university, where the people one meets and the friends one makes come ... (using "one" rather than "you" makes it a bit more formal)

    4) Ultimately, in this era where everyone strives to achieve smooth efficiency, effective communication will probably save us a lot of time. Getting your point.... >>> you're bouncing between "we" and you"

    Thanks for the hard work and fine effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well noted! Thanks for your detailed comments, Brad! (:

      Delete
  2. Hi Hui Yun,

    I think that this post is well-written especially your introduction. It summarizes the gist of effective communication in a very lively way instead of the usual “effective communication means…”.
    However, there is a part that I do not really understand:
    Not that I'd be ready to deny that, as you'd have witnessed from my self-introduction, but I saw that glimpse of hope in this module.
    Personally, I do not think that your communication skills are as bad as you have described after talking to you a few times in class. Nevertheless, let’s improve our communication skills together through this module. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Yeawen!
      Yes, during the first self introduction, Brad asked where I was from and I replied Singapore, not catching his essence of the question, which was the part of Singapore I live in!
      Glad to know I am able to communicate with you! Indeed, looking forward to the day too! (:

      Delete
  3. Hello there Hui Yun!

    I, on the other hand, felt that you are not bad a communicator! I concur with some points that you have brought up, especially the part where the shrinking world is bringing people from all over the world together and effective communicative is ever so important than before.

    Accent is another issue that I felt is very important, which I did not include in my post. Not only does the inability to catch the foreigners' accents causes awkward situations, but also the difficulty in understanding lecturers' explanations due to their different pronunciations. I always have difficulties understanding my Scottish and China lecturers due to their own way of pronunciations. I believe you do meet with such situations before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shiying!

      Very unfortunately, I certainly have had my share of non-local lecturers and tutors. Even listening to webcasts can be a bit of problem sometimes.

      And thanks a lot, I'll continue trying to improve to be a better communicator!

      Delete
  4. Hi Hui Yun,

    I will not comment much on the grammar considering the fact that I am guilty of many grammatical slips myself. I agree with Shi Ying and Yea Wen that you are a decent communicator in so far that I always understand (hopefully) the point that you are trying to put across both in this blog writing and also during the class discussion. Please do not put yourself down unnecessarily and be more confident about your ability.

    I have also found accent coupled with the lack of mastery of English as a great problem that some of my professors face. The problem is some of them appear unfazed and continue onward since most of the students are too timid to comment on the fact in front of the professors. Communication training needs to be expanded from covering only the students to the professors also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eric!

      Yes certainly! Some of our professors might actually want to join us along this journey of discovering the beauty of effective communication!

      Thanks for your encouragement! It's just that I've had comments about my flawed communication skills and that makes me hesitate a little whenever I've to speak to people. But of course, I'll continue to work hard on being a better communicator!

      Delete
  5. Hi Hui Yun,

    I have noticed that you used a few rhetorical questions in your posts and i think it is something different from the other posts i have read so far. Overall i feel that you are quite a good communicator. You certainly leave a good impression during the first lesson when you talk to us. Let us learn from one another in the upcoming peer teaching and let us work hard to become an effective communicator at the end of the module. Cheer!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yongsheng!

      Thanks for your positive feedback!

      We'll all work hard together and survive as better communicators at the end of it! Absolutely looking forward to getting to know all of you better along the way! (:

      Delete