Sunday, November 11, 2012

The Engineers' Oral Presentation.

"We did it. We survived!"

That was the first thought that came to my mind after our oral presentation was officially over. It may sound trivial to some, but considering that the presentation was due in less than a week, an internal dispute was certainly worrying for all of us. Long story short, the dispute stemmed from communication breakdown. Nonetheless, it could actually have been a blessing in disguise. We not only overcame the differences, but also gained a better understanding of one another. This undoubtedly helped pave a smoother path of communication among the group after that.

I cannot deny how relieved and overwhelmed I felt when it was over. It was quite surreal for me, because it seemed like just yesterday that we decided to pursue the overcrowding problem for our proposal. Since all four of us were from Engineering, handling the content came off much easier, as the subject matter was not too much of a stranger to us.

Also, I felt that the mock oral presentation was a really good idea. I got a better sense of how my part can be fitted into the whole presentation. Before that, I was lacking all the "links" but thankfully, we had the run-through and received constructive feedback from Brad and Ronald's team on how to improve the structure, flow and organisation of our presentation. I personally thought the overlapping parts were more or less minimised during our final show, after we went back and rearranged it into a more logical flow.

As I was looking back at the video of our presentation, I couldn't help but cringe at my performance. My pace is clearly still a major flaw. I was staring at myself rattling off and I was thinking to myself, "Are you sure the video hasn't been tampered with?" Shiying actually told me about this after the presentation but I didn't know it was THAT fast. This is actually quite surprising for me, because I was feeling very sleepy during the presentation. While my other group members were presenting, I started feeling drowsy and lost balance halfway through my part and almost tripped on my own foot. This definitely distracted the audience and I slipped a subconscious "Sorry" that was caught by Sai and Sumea, who noted it down in the feedback for us.

Despite having a few rounds of rehearsal before this, I realised my choppy delivery was still very much peppered with awkward pauses, "Ahh", "Ummm" and "And". It was actually very uncomfortable listening to myself speak. I felt I knew what I had to say, but the pause fillers still flowed out so freely. My team members were always telling me to not "present from a script in my head" and if I miss out any point, I should just move on to the next one. Likewise, one of the main feedback I got from the mock presentation was to work on my "infamous" long pause, something that also happened during my peer teaching. So I am pretty happy to say that I managed to improve slightly, because my long pause didn't seem as long this time round!

On a side note, I am really very grateful to Shiying and Yongsheng for their reassuring responses throughout my entire presentation! It made me feel like I was engaging them and that actually boosted a teeny bit of confidence in me.

When it came to our visual cues, we had to maintain a dark surrounding for our slides to have its intended effect, so I hope that did not affect the audience much. I was actually very tempted to chuck away the slides after the attempt during mock presentation, but I realised the nature of our proposal did not allow us to try that stunt, nor did it encourage the use of Prezi. And so, PowerPoint took the stage once again. After receiving Rohit's feedback on the colour scheme, I am hoping the overall product did not turn out too incoherent after all.

Although my presentation skills are still far from ideal, I've had the time of my life learning through this entire process. It broke down my stage fright into the various specific aspects that I will need to work on for a smoother delivery in future.

And of course, I would like to say a big thank you to Chandra, Thao and Eric for making this team special in their own ways! Amidst all the fun, sweat and tears of effort, I hope we actually picked up more than just mere presentation skills!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Hui Yun,

    Yes you did it and survived! Congrats!:)

    Overall, I think your group definitely did well! With all the photos of the Techno edge canteen which further emphasized on the problem as well as clearly showed the feasibility of your group's proposed solutions. As for the delivery part, I think you did well too. Perhaps it is because I am a Singaporean too; I felt that your pace was alright. As compared to the previous presentations you did during peer teaching as well as during the mock presentation, you have made a leap of improvement. As you have identified, there were still several "Ahh" and "Ummm". And I realised that you are used to saying "you know" at the end of your sentence? Nevertheless, you have your own style of presentation and definitely you are already on your way to become a good presenter!

    Cheers,
    Yong Sheng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yongsheng!

      Thanks a lot! (: Yes it seems that most of the Singaporeans in the class felt that my pace was still manageable, perhaps it's really "a Singapore thing" in this case.

      And ah yes, I have this subconscious habit of slipping "you know" at the end of my sentences, you know? Haha! You're really sharp to notice that! Thanks for pointing it out! I'll work on my pause fillers too, they got quite annoying after I listened to myself after a while.

      I like to think that every individual has his or her own of style of presentation, so I am certain we are all on our way to being better, more flexible and engaging presenters!

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Hi Huiyun,

    It is great that to read that all of us have learned a lot from out (or more like mine) mistakes in communication. I would not characterize it as blessing, but it was certainly a learning point. I agree with you that we have learnt a lot from the mock presentation especially in the way we present our idea. We made a great mistake that was pointed out during the mock presentation in delivering our presentation as if it is a proposal.

    I agree that you have improved a lot. In your peer teaching, you had a long pause during presentation which even made me as the audience felt really uncomfortable. You also looked so helpless since you moved your hands nervously and kept looking to your team mates for help. Here you had a better grasp of content and delivered it relatively smoothly compared to your peer teaching. Sure you did have a few eerrr and ummm, however even some professional speakers have their own “pause words”. I do not think err and umm is a serious problem.
    I hope you continue polishing your presentation skill to the point where you are able to deliver the content smoothly.

    Cheers,
    Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hui Yun and Eric,

      I felt your team did a wonderful job restructuring the presentation format and the focus of your presentation. It is indeed a very practical issue to tackle. Your team's final presentation has improved tremendously from the mock presentation because you are no longer describing the issue but selling your ideas. The dynamics in your group has also been much more cohesive this time round as you seem to work better together :D

      Delete
    2. Hello Eric and Ronald!

      First, please allow me to address Eric's comment.
      I guess I used the word blessing because every learning opportunity is a blessing to me. Being able to learn is a blessing itself. What's more, we emerged as a much stronger and bonded team!
      And thanks for your encouraging feedback! I'll definitely keep working on my presentation skills, my long pause is simply too awkward to manage.

      Now on to Ronald's comment!
      On behalf of my team, thank you very much for all your very helpful feedback during the mock OP! If you guys hadn't pointed out the major flaw in our initial presentation, we wouldn't have known what to work on! THANKS SO MUCH! :D

      Delete
  3. HELLO to my beloved Huiyun,

    Let’s join hands and jump around in circles for ending our LAST presentation for this module!

    I. AM. AWED. BY. YOUR. POWERPOINT. SLIDES!! Seriously, I am amazed and intrigued by it. I love how your group took the effort to take relevant photographs to highlight each and every single points argued by your members. The impact was so powerful and up until today, I can still remember all the slides vividly! It is THAT amazing.

    Your pace sounded a little rushed during the presentation, and because all the other group members were slightly slower, this made the contrast much more obvious. I believe keeping a consistent pace throughout for all the group members is no easy task and I myself tend to speed through my presentation unknowingly as well. What you can do for your future presentations is that, to take a deep breath before you begin and engage eye contacts with your audience first rather than starting your presentation straightaway. This was what I did for my presentation. I made myself comfortable with my audience before I started speaking. When you are comfortable with the surroundings, you will tend to be more relaxed and hence, speak slower.

    But overall, it was a job very well done. To be able to understand the main needs and agendas of your presentation and come up with such amazing presentation slides to fit such an objective and of course, be able to end it all with such a smooth delivery, you should all give yourself a pat on your back and say “GOOD JOB PEOPLE!”

    And yes, we certainly picked up much more skills other than merely presentation skills

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HELLO my lovely Shiying!

      We should add in some screaming effect to complete the super relieved feeling!

      That's an interesting suggestion you have there! I think you're right, I tend to be more relaxed after getting comfortable with my audience. Yes, I'm definitely going to try that out for my future presentations! Sounding rushed really sounds awful. Thanks for such an useful tip, I'll let you know if it works for me next time!

      THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR APPRECIATING THE SLIDES! You don't know how much it means to me. Thank you so much, really!

      Good job from your team as well! We'll take turns to pat each other's backs then!

      Delete
  4. Hi Hui Yun,

    After that stern session from Thao, you managed to relax the tense atmosphere with your soothing tone and sincere engagement with the audience. You were speaking very naturally. I have to commend you on this because it was comforting and enjoyable listening to you present.

    I honestly felt your pace of speaking was very normal and comfortable and I can tell you have tried to slow down this time round, as compared to the mock presentation and the peer teaching earlier. However, now that you mentioned about the long pauses, I guess it could be due to the pace at which you were speaking. As Han mentioned a few weeks back, when a slower speaker pauses in between sentences, it is not very obvious. On the other hand, when a faster speaker pauses for the same duration, it seems to be longer and a little more obvious.This is probably something you would need to figure out on your own as you look back on the video recording. I would agree with Eric that it is alright to have 'pause words' or 'gap fillers' like 'errr' and 'ummm' occasionally. Just don't make it a habit.

    Apart from Sai and Sumea, I noticed that you were shifting your legs frequently when you first started, probably because you were nervous, but you decided to acquire a relatively fixed stance later on. Soon after, perhaps you were indeed sleepy, you crossed your legs left-over-right, right-over-left and then you lost balance. It was quite amusing but you managed to pull your act together pretending nothing happened and just carried on.

    Like Yong Sheng, Eric and Shiying, I felt your presentation style has improved since the peer teaching. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ronald!

      Thanks for your encouragement! I'm so glad you found my presentation enjoyable! I guess it's also partly due to the nature of our content that brings about the different vibes between Thao and I.

      Yes you could tell right! I was actually mentally tapping the beats hoping I can pace myself more appropriately this time round. My pause fillers are no doubt a subconscious habit, so for that I'll have to work on minimising it.

      Hahaha at least I managed to amuse my audience, not too bad then I guess? I was once told that for any presenter or performer, if we make any blunder on stage, it's always best to quickly move on as if nothing happened and act professional. Thanks for pointing out my leg-shifting stunt, I realised I tend to be quite fidgety during presentations.

      You're very comforting to listen to, and I hope you won't mind but I've to confess that I actually learnt a lot from you and I will try to emulate your calm composure in my mind so that it somehow helps me calm down too! Thanks a lot Ronald!

      Delete